It is an inescapable fact that road conditions are worse during the winter. To help keep your safe,
When driving in winter conditions:
- Always listen to weather forecasts and don’t make any unnecessary trips if the weather is forecast to be particularly bad.
- Make sure that you clear your windows properly of ice and snow before you start your journey.
- Add anti-freeze to the radiator and additive to the windscreen washer bottles.
- Check your tyre tread depth and pressure.
- Keep your lights clean and your battery fully charged.
- Use dipped headlights in hail, snow and rain.
- Drive slower to take into account the weather conditions.
- Give yourself more time to brake as brakes don’t work as well in icy conditions – it can take ten times longer to stop in icy conditions than on a dry road.
- Leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front.
- Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin.
- When braking on ice and snow get into a low gear earlier than normal, allow your speed to fall and press gently on the brake.
- If you do end up in a skid, ease off the accelerator but don’t brake suddenly.
- If visibility is reduced by fog use your fog lights – but remember to switch them off when visibility improves.
- Keep sunglasses in the car for the winter sun.
- Keep some warm clothes and a torch in the car.
- If the conditions are very bad – don’t drive.
Download our winter driving checklist here
Click here to visit the full article.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.