Change the address on either:
- your full driving licence
- your provisional driving licence
It does not cost anything to change your address with DVLA.
You can still drive while you’re waiting for your new licence.
If you want to change your name at the same time, you’ll have to apply by post.
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Before you start
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes.
- your driving licence
- to be a resident of Great Britain – there’s a different process in Northern Ireland
- to give the addresses you’ve lived at in the last 3 years
- to not be banned from driving
Provide your driving licence number, National Insurance number and passport number if you know them.
You must also change the address on your vehicle log book and vehicle tax Direct Debit (if that’s how you pay).
If you want to change your photo at the same time
If your licence is valid for at least 2 more years, you’ll have to renew it to change your photo.
If it’s valid for less than 2 years, you can change your photo when you update your address.
You can either:
- choose to use the same photo as your passport
- send a recent passport-style photo – you’ll get a letter telling you how to send it after you’ve used the online service
It costs £14. You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card. There’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence.
If you’re moving abroad
You cannot register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.
What happens next
You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
Your updated licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. Contact DVLA if it has not arrived after 3 weeks.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.