You must get a new licence if:
- you change your address
- your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed
- you change your name (you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2)
- you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)
If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it for a photocard version.
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Start nowon driving licensing online
DVLA will aim to send your driving licence within 3 weeks. It may take longer if your medical or personal details need to be checked.
You’ll need to:
- have your driving licence
- be a resident of Great Britain
- meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- not be prevented from driving for any reason
- pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
- have your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- provide addresses of where you have lived for the last 3 years
You cannot apply online if you’ve changed your name. Apply by post using form D1 for cars and motorbikes, or form D2 for lorries and buses. Get the forms from the DVLA form ordering service. Most Post Offices have D1 forms.
The photo for your licence
DVLA will use the photo on your UK digital passport.
You’ll need to send a photo by post if DVLA cannot use your digital passport photo, or if you do not want them to use it. At the end of your online application a form will be posted to you so you can return it with your photo.
Driving before you get your new licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:
- you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.
DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
Please click here for more information.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.